Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Let the Mayhem Begin

by Joe Miller

As you'll no doubt notice when you scroll down, the first three papers from my co-bloggers (i.e., the students enrolled in War and Morality) are now up. Those of you in the class, don't forget that you are required each week to make substantive comments on at least three papers before class on Thursday night. I'm sure that those of you in the class will remember to be civil. After all, your paper will be up at some point. If you're not in my class, then try to remember to show everyone the same respect that you show me. Oh, wait. Okay, try to show everyone the same respect that you would show to Dr. Geller. Or some professor you like. Surely there is one somewhere.

Constructive comments from all are welcome. My students may tire of hearing me say this, but I am very much of the belief that philosophy is an ongoing conversation, a dialogue that has been going on both in-print and face-to-face for 2500 years. The 'net lets us bring together both of those elements in an interesting and (potentially) very productive way. So please join in our conversation.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you want us to drink the grape Kool-Aid?

9:53 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Well, the grape is usually reserved for special occasions. But yeah, have a sip. Your life will never be the same.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love me some Kool-Aid!

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to let it be known... I did NOT post the JSM comment.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fact that JSM has returned from the dead and is commenting on the class blog is fascinating and frightening. Should we be honored, or scared, I wonder...

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it'd be funny to point out that taking a sip is almost like groupthink (http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/groupthink)
and I'm pretty sure that's not what you want your students to do, LOL

"The idiom drink the Kool-Aid, defined by Wordspy as 'To become a firm believer in something; to accept an argument or philosophy wholeheartedly or blindly,' is a product of the Jonestown massacre, despite the fact that the beverage consumed by the Jonestowners was not actually Kool-Aid but rather Flavor Aid." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home